An Afternoon with an Old Friend

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

An Afternoon with an Old Friend

Post by Moon Tree »

I bought some quail to work with the pups today. They did well.

I saved a couple to take Jasmine out. At 13 years old, it could be her last hunt. I put the quail in a small un-mowed section in my plot field. I walked Jas out on a long leach. I sent up a prayer asking that my shots be good so Jas could retrieve them. The quail had moved a bit but I felt sure they had not flown across the broad expanse of mowed field. It took her awhile to find the first bird. Seven years ago she'd been pointing them from the house.

But, find them she did, And, how fate determined, they came up one at a time. So, she had 2 hunts.

After being birdy for awhile ( I was would allow her to find the birds) she locked up on point. I stepped in to flush the bird. Jas didn't see the direction the quail had flown. One shot and the quail tumbled to the ground. Jas would have to "hunt dead" without any reference. It took some time but she found this bird. In typical Jas fashion, she dropped it 10 feet from me.

She locked up on second quail a second before it flushed. I flew straight at me then turned. One shot and it dropped. This time Jas watched it fly and fall. On my command she went for the retrieve. She was so proud of herself finding this bird that she carried it around in the high grass for 5 minutes. I let her have her moment.

It was a wonder day with an old hunting buddy. I gave thanks.

I was shooting my Rossi 20 gauge side-by-side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: An Afternoon with an Old Friend

Post by mr surveyor »

Wow, that is a great, heartwarming story. A memory to hang on to, no doubt.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

Thanks JD. Jas has been a good companion for over a quarter of my life. When she was in her prime I would have hunted her with any dog in the world and she would not have embarrassed me. Any time I get a chance do a with her that she can handle, I intend on doing so.

Another Jasmine story:
Several of us got to gather to release some quail for our annual hunt. Jasmine and her daughter, Puddin' pointed a covey. Shotguns blasting, several quail hit the ground. Jas retrieved mine which was to the left of the main flush. Puddin' went out to retrieve birds that fell in front of the group. In the course of Puddin' retrieving birds she found more and more quail.

I hadn't seen Jas for about 45 minutes. Jas hunts close and always checks in. If I haven't seen Jas in 5 minutes, she's on point.

I headed up hill the last direction I'd seen her going. I found her standing point over 3 quail. She had been there so long that she was leaning against a tree. She rounded her eyes up at me as if to see, "It's about damn time." ha ha ha
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Love it. Good dogs are like an essential arm. Hard to get by without them. Thanks for sharing.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Great stories Moon.

I feel sorry for those that go through life never having a great dog. I would have
said "owned" but we all know we don't own them they're part of the family.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

That is a great story about man's best friend. I've never had the luxury of owning a good bird dog, but have always owned a house dog. There is no better friend and companion.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Moon you know how to make a person a little misty eyed by bringing back memories. Good story and nice ending.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about Jas... a beauty!
Michael
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

She looks like a well seasoned dog with lots of hunting stories in her past.
slideaction

Post by slideaction »

Aw, man thanks for sharing that. I spend all day every day with my two pals, Cody and Crockett...
Rossi 62SA owner operator
U.S. Army, retired