It's Time To Hunt! Am I Doing the Right Thing?

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
triggerpull

It's Time To Hunt! Am I Doing the Right Thing?

Post by triggerpull »

Firearms opens in 2 days--and one of the biggest dilemmas I face each year is what firearm and round to use for the season--not an easy choice when you have 2 safes full of a wide variety of guns--all of which I've developed some good hand-loads for--some of which are capable of consistent .5 to 1 MOA--and a couple even better than that.

This will be my first season hunting the big woods of Maine--I haven't been to too many places where you have a clear shot of 100 yards--in fact unless I'm in a field or road/trail I rarely see clear lanes of much more than 50 to 75 feet!

So I've decided to try out my 16" rossi in 44 mag--seems like a good contender for a short-range heavy-brush hunter. Once I make a selection I pretty much stick with it for the entire season (unless the venue or game changes). Dialing the gun in has been something of a challenge--and I've occasionally had some very good results with some of my hand loads.

Today I went out and shot a variety of ammo with a variety of ballistic characteristics. In general--the 240 flat points tended to group better while temperature was fairly controlled--both in the barrel and the environment. They tended to be light to moderate loads with OK velocities in the 1100 to 1300 range (according to specs--though I haven't verified with chrono).

I ended up selecting a load I developed for the Hornady xtp hollow-point as my likely go-to deer hunter--unless the collective wisdom here convinces me otherwise. This load is propelled by 24.3 grs of H110 and should be cruising along at over 1700 fps--which I'm guessing means it's going to deliver the necessary wallop in the event a 100 to 150 yd shot presents itself--I don't thing the slower loads could reliably do that. The only concern I have is that the hollow point might be a bit prone to franging at closer ranges at that high a velocity--don't want to reduce a bunch of meat to blood-shot mush.

The group below was shot off a bag at 100 yds today with gusty right crosswinds. Although not the best small group shooting I've done at that range--I like it because all 5 shots stayed reasonably tight with both a cold and warm bore--to me that spells better consistency across a wider variety of conditions. The first three shots were right at MOA nearest the bulls'.

Is my reasoning sound??

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It's Time To Hunt! Am I Doing the Right Thing?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds good to me. We start on Saturday as well and I haven't thought about which rifle will go with me. In a few minutes I'm going to go out and make the selection. All are sighted in and ready to go, this afternoon all I will do is bang the 100 yard gong call it done.

I'm leaning toward my R92 chambered in 44 Mag, or my Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win, or my Rem 600 chambered in 35 Rem. We have a long deer season with generous bag limits so I will have a chance to use others.
Michael
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Ranch Dog wrote:Sounds good to me. We start on Saturday as well and I haven't thought about which rifle will go with me. In a few minutes I'm going to go out and make the selection. All are sighted in and ready to go, this afternoon all I will do is bang the 100 yard gong call it done.

I'm leaning toward my R92 chambered in 44 Mag, or my Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win, or my Rem 600 chambered in 35 Rem. We have a long deer season with generous bag limits so I will have a chance to use others.
Good luck and have fun--post some pics : )

Maine is pretty weird compared to most other states--there's virtually no public WMA's for hunting--and therefore no real QDM other than limits guesswork based on tags registered. You're allowed one buck and it's season over--unless you get permission to hunt expanded archery areas. Also--in Maine a crossbow is considered the equivalent of a firearm.

PS--I'm still shooting with the stock action--after the season is over I'm going to finally take her apart and do an action/trigger job--that should help tighten the groups up a bit--it's hard pulling the stock trigger and not pull the shot.
Rankin

Post by Rankin »

Sounds exactly like what I am going to do. Use my 16" in 44 magnum. Although I may be presented with a slightly longer shot, in some openings. I just want to use my R92 trapper. I put a full buckhorn sight on mine, and have been practicing out to 300 yards. Not that I will take that shot. I just like to know what I can do.

Sounds to me like you are right on, and ready.

Rankin
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Rankin wrote:Sounds exactly like what I am going to do. Use my 16" in 44 magnum. Although I may be presented with a slightly longer shot, in some openings. I just want to use my R92 trapper. I put a full buckhorn sight on mine, and have been practicing out to 300 yards. Not that I will take that shot. I just like to know what I can do.

Sounds to me like you are right on, and ready.

Rankin
Thanks--and good luck
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

There's just something reassuring about those big holes--isn't there? : )
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

My dad and I whacked the gong! It was so much fun we ended up shooting a dozen rounds each! So my starter will be the TLC380-250-RF and the Rio Grande chambered in 38-55 Win!

Michael