TYH at Ranch Dog's

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

TYH at Ranch Dog's

Post by Ranch Dog »

I hosted a Texas Youth Hunting Program hunt on my place this past weekend. Despite temperatures in the 90's resulting in low deer movement, three of the four kids shot does. I was really impressed with the program, the volunteers go through great lengths to introduce these young people to hunting. My hat is off to them!

Here is my best friend and right hand, Joe, at the entrance to my ranch.

The camp setup with my home in the background.

Briefing the hunter's on Friday night, after their range sessions.

Young fellow with his doe, shooting a Rem 788 chambered in 243 Win.

The youngest hunter on the hunt with his first whitetail. Shooting a Win M70 chambered in 25-06!

Cleaning deer!

Final good bye...

My future Texas Youth Hunter!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: TYH at Ranch Dog's

Post by akuser47 »

Love it it is getting more n more rare for events like this to have a place to hunt.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

Hat's off to you Ranch for letting this happen on your place. Not many allow hunting as they did when I was just starting my wild adventures. You need to be commended for giving the opportunity. Thanks from a father/grandfather .
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

ksmoose wrote:Hat's off to you Ranch for letting this happen on your place. Not many allow hunting as they did when I was just starting my wild adventures. You need to be commended for giving the opportunity. Thanks from a father/grandfather .
Well put moose and I agree 100%!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

YHP is just a great way for some boys to get out and really experience something thats almost life affirming. It will never leave them no mater where life takes them. Ive never heard of such a program and have lived full time in four different states at one time or the other. So many skills to learn and then hone as there interests and abilitities allow. Well done RD for setting this up...fun for all im sure. Wish i could attend, i would love to learn from experience how to properly skin a deer.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, very good time! The first youth to score a kill was a young lady on her first hunt. Have not get a picture yet to post. I will make this an annual event. A lot of good stuff was passed to the kids during this hunt.
NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Wish i could attend, i would love to learn from experience how to properly skin a deer.
The TYHP guides teach the kids how to gut and skin a deer... then we had a chance to show the guides how we do it and they were impressed. Just a bunch of little things that make it all simpler.
Michael
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

That's great RD !!!

We tried to do something similar with Bass Fishing but kept running into
liabilities and insurance details taking youngsters out in bass boats. Heck,
I had no problems with my kids and gkids in my boat.
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
jdb

Post by jdb »

Yep, I've helped out with a couple of youth hunts over the years Ranch and I ALWAYS had more fun than the kids. They thought I was Daniel Boone. ;~)

And your right. The Texas Youth Hunt Program has become one of the real role models for how to do it. Getting some celebrity involvement has made a big difference in that program. You guys are stepping up and making a real investment in the future of conservation through hunting in Texas.

GOOD ON YA for helping out brother. We need more like ya!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson