Time To Hunt!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Time To Hunt!

Post by rman »

Good luck!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ranch Dog wrote:Haah... might have to split the topic with the last couple of replies out into the hunting forum as this is a good subject to continue with. Here are a couple of nice bucks that I have. I think the first will get to walk this year as I think he still a bit young. The second is the one I'm most troubled with. Probably will wait and try to find his sheds and see what happens the following year.

LOL, yep. I might even break out the only pic I ever...uh, the wife took of deer I've taken with lever guns. I'm what some might call anti social when it comes to pictures. ;~)

It's funny you posted that pic of the 3 1/2-4 year old with the chocolate rack Ranch. Check out this daylight pic I found of the one I posted earlier. It's from 5th of September I think it was, but you can see from both pics that they aren't nearly as far into rut as they are on your ranch. Odd given that you are probably further south than me.

At any rate, I love those chocolate racks. Most of um on me are a lot more gray.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
jdb

Post by jdb »

Thanks for the split Ranch. This time of year, I'm guessing there are a lot of us who have a story or product or process or something we want to talk over.
rman wrote:
triggerpull wrote:Nice bucks--hope ya get one. I just bought one of those ghost blinds and am going to give it a go. I like the down-angles and scent dispersion qualities of stands--but I just hate being up there for hours in bitter cold--especially if it's windy and the tree is rocking back and forth.
I'm like you triggerpull. I really like tree blinds for their advantages, but don't enjoy the cold anymore. I used to bow hunt and the season started on October 1st. Days spent in the blind then were really enjoyable. I don't bow hunt anymore and our firearms season opens the 1st week of December. It's always cold and snowing, sleeting, etc. I haven't deer hunted at all since my heart attack, but I have a 16 year old grandson who is probably going to talk me into it this year. I have a pop-up ground blind and that is probably what we'll use.
I'm with you guys. I'm a ground hunter exclusively. It's probably been 20 years since I hunted out of a stand. Any more, I just use natural cover or maybe an old piece of cammo burlap I carry with me.

And I've seen those Ghost Blinds, Trigger. I think it's probably the most innovative product for ground/spot and stalk hunters ever made. I haven't had need or occasion to get one yet, but it's just a matter of time before I do. They are just too cool NOT to buy. ;~)

Maybe you can give us a review of how it works out for ya after you use it? I'd be interested to know how you use it and how good a job it does for ya.
triggerpull wrote:Going hunting tomorrow--small plot of land near developments and it's compound/long bows only--may the force be with me ; )
Yep, It's recure traditional for me Trigger. When gun season isn't open here, I'm somewhere with my ol' 1972 Bear, Super Kodiak trying to stick one.

Oh, and I said I would if Ranch split the topic, so here one is. This is from year before last. A little 10 point taken just out back of my house with my Marlin 30-30. Wasn't a monster, but I was hungry, didn't have to drag him but about 50 yards and he ate GOOD!. LOL
Marlin3030.JPG
By the way. That's me in the background. I'm 6'-4", 220 pounds and I'm guessing he outweighed me a few pounds since my wife had to help my ol' butt hoist him for processing. WHICH, she really loves doing. That's what she gets for insisting on pictures. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice buck
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yes, very nice buck! 30-30 or 35 Rem?
Michael
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yes, very nice buck! 30-30 or 35 Rem?
It's chambered in 30/30 Winchester, Ranch. It's one of the newer ones with the safety on the side. Not one of the more highly coveted guns in the Marlin collection, but it shoots great. Only gun I own that actually likes factory Winchester ammo. LOL

It's the 336W model with a gold trigger. And not being a Marlin snob, I actually don't mind the safety. ;~)

It's quieter and takes less movement to leave the gun cocked and just push the safety off anyway. And for an ol' brush buster like me who hunts on the ground exclusively, that's a help. And I can use all the help I can stand these days. ;~)

Got to say though, although it's a great gun, runs like Deere and a real tack driver with about everything I've fed it, it just never has been as comfortable in the hand as the new Rossi was from the first time I picked it up. The 92 kind of gives me the same feeling I get when I pick up my old TC Renegade or my 870 Wingmaster.

Only without the 50+ years shootin' um to get it feelin' that way. LOL

I think I remember you saying somewhere that you have one in 35 Remington? Can ya tell enough difference in them to make you choose the 35 over the 30/30 given the ammo situation?

I ask cause I almost bought a 336 in 35 Rem at a gun show a couple years ago and didn't cause it seemed a little too much like duplication. And the way ammo has been around here, I didn't need another one to remember to hunt for. ;~0
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

That looks like a nice buck to me jdb! I'm pretty much stuck with hunting on public hunting grounds around here, and I'm happy to harvest about anything that comes along, as long as it isn't a Spring fawn.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
jdb

Post by jdb »

rman wrote:That looks like a nice buck to me jdb! I'm pretty much stuck with hunting on public hunting grounds around here, and I'm happy to harvest about anything that comes along, as long as it isn't a Spring fawn.
LOL...shoot man. I'll take 'um with the milk drippin' off their chin. ;~)

Just kidding of course. Not that I wouldn't, but the wife would kill me if I dragged up Bambi. She doesn't care how tender they are. They just better not have spots. ;~)

Hey brother, I can't feel sorry for ya hunting in Kansas. Kansas has some GREAT deer. Kansas, like Kentucky is in the top 10 in the country for Boone and Crockett trophies harvested. There have been some real beast come out of Kansas. I'm guessin' that sooner or later you'll end up knocking down a monster!

Plus, you guys have pheasant and I LOVE me some pheasant. LOL