Spitzer bullets in lever actions

Take total control of your projectiles by casting your own!
dbur525

Spitzer bullets in lever actions

Post by dbur525 »

Hi All
I had a crazy idea about casting some spitzer bullets for my 45-70
I did buy a lee spitzer bullet mold in 45 cal but the oal of the bullet was to long to work in the marlin guide gun action. Roughy about .140 to long.
I thought about designing a bullet but to shorten to the correct oal with a spitzer point. And have a mold made.
Yes, i realize you cant load them in the mag tube back to back, cause they will detonate upon recoil.
But you could easily load one in mag tube work the action to chamber it, then load another into mag tube.
This way you would have a 2 shooter and it would be safe. My thinking is if your hunting and you dont knock down and ancore your target animal then a 3rd shot or 4th shot probably wont help you anyways
Has anybody done this?
Results?
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Spitzer bullets in lever actions

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Nothing wrong with your two-shooter concept, so long as you don’t drink and shoot and you clearly label the cartridges in the case of your untimely demise. I suspect you’ll be disappointed by the ballistic coefficient of a short, stout bullet with a pointy nose. Have you considered shortening the brass for the spitzer bullet you have?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've tried the Hornady flex tip in their 45-70 LererLution ammo and I wasn't impressed. After 5 rounds the ring around the chamber was bad enough to stick full length cases in my single shot.

For me any way the whole purpose of the 40, 44 and 45 is the big flat metplate that transfers it's energy to the target.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
dbur525

Post by dbur525 »

You guys have made some interesting points , i totally forgot about the leverlution ammo, they have shorten cases and kind of mutes the idea of casting spiral tipped bullets