Rio Grande 45-70

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Rio Grande 45-70

Post by pricedo »

SoCal44 wrote:Can the Rio Grande 45-70 be safely loaded to the Marlin 1895 specs. (which I believe is < 40,000 CUP)? In my reloading manual I see Trapdoor loads, Marlin Levergun, and Ruger #1 loads. I'm assuming I can use the Marlin loads.

Thanks
Now that the subject of pressure signs & primers has come up I just wanted to throw something in to the discussion about max loads for the Rio Grande & .45-70 GVT.
I noticed that the Buffalo Bore custom ammo, some of which is loaded to +P pressures, in .45-70 uses proprietary cases with small rifle primers just like the .454 Casull cases.
I don't know if the .45-70 cases are available with the small rifle primer pockets for hand loading purposes or whether this could factor into any of your hand loads.
Just thought I'd throw that little tidbit into the discussion.
If it is not germane feel free to ignore it. :)
It appears that with the Rio Grande the limiting factor is the gun itself.......................I don't have a RG in .45-70 (though I do have one in .30-30) so I'll leave that discussion to you folks.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

SoCal44 wrote:...I did see what I think are some pressure signs, see the picture. I don't know if this is enough to be concerned with. I would like to hear your opinion. The case on the right was the 56 grain load, the left was one of the 37 grain loads.
I'm thinking that the primers look appropriate for the pressures generated. The 56-grain load is flat

pricedo wrote:I noticed that the Buffalo Bore custom ammo, some of which is loaded to +P pressures, in .45-70 uses proprietary cases with small rifle primers just like the .454 Casull cases.
I wonder which small primer they use?
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
SoCal44 wrote:...I did see what I think are some pressure signs, see the picture. I don't know if this is enough to be concerned with. I would like to hear your opinion. The case on the right was the 56 grain load, the left was one of the 37 grain loads.
I'm thinking that the primers look appropriate for the pressures generated. The 56-grain load is flat

pricedo wrote:I noticed that the Buffalo Bore custom ammo, some of which is loaded to +P pressures, in .45-70 uses proprietary cases with small rifle primers just like the .454 Casull cases.
I wonder which small primer they use?
Probably whatever one works I guess. There are umpteen brands of SR & SRM primers.

I don't know how free BB is with the recipe info for their factory ammo.......not too free I would think.........could be wrong.

The "tricky" part wold probably be getting those proprietary cases with SR primer pockets without having to buy a whole bunch of expensive BB factory ammo.

BB is a small cottage industry outfit so I'm assuming that some big name supplier (Horn, Win, Rem ?) must be making .45-70 cases with SR primer pockets for them. Find out who......maybe they'll part with some.

Internally the SR primed cases reduce the surface area the internal pressure has to work upon during firing and externally virtually eliminates the possibility of primer detonation in magazine tubes in heavy recoiling guns.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
SoCal44

Post by SoCal44 »

Ranch Dog
I don't know what "the 56 grain load is flat" means. Referring to the primer being flattened maybe? Please explain.

Thanks
SoCal
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

SoCal44 wrote:I don't know what "the 56 grain load is flat" means. Referring to the primer being flattened maybe? Please explain.
Sure, I was replying with my smart phone so I try to keep the typing to a minimum. The primer is flattened but not flowing beyond it's diameter. It looks okay to me.
Michael