Question about load data

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about load data

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Well my confidence with QL is improving! I came up with very similar numbers as you did. How do you calculate for ambient or does QL default to 70?
70 is the default but I always note it when I pass data to others as it is important. Let's see, details of changing the temperature are on page 68 of the user's manual. Basically, to change the temperature you use the thermometer icon on the powder panel. Once changed it will remain valid until you close the program. When you reopen the program it is back to 70.

If there was differences in our data, it probably relates to:
  • The cartridge data, I actually detail the "Cross Sectional Bore Area" from my barrel slug and use the calculated factor.
  • The bullet data is a possibility to check as the "Shot Start/Initial Pressure" should be 1914 psi for a lead bullet.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Well my confidence with QL is improving! I came up with very similar numbers as you did. How do you calculate for ambient or does QL default to 70?
70 is the default but I always note it when I pass data to others as it is important. Let's see, details of changing the temperature are on page 68 of the user's manual. Basically, to change the temperature you use the thermometer icon on the powder panel. Once changed it will remain valid until you close the program. When you reopen the program it is back to 70.

If there was differences in our data, it probably relates to:
  • The cartridge data, I actually detail the "Cross Sectional Bore Area" from my barrel slug and use the calculated factor.
  • The bullet data is a possibility to check as the "Shot Start/Initial Pressure" should be 1914 psi for a lead bullet.
Thanks, my Start/Initial pressure was set much higher for a jacketed.. So much yet to learn. I was using an old .bul file from when I was inquiring about Tombstone 530's (sized to .460) a while back and used my longer case lengths for the Marlin. I see when I changed the trim length to 2.5, bullet diameter to .458 and the start pressure to 1914 it comes in at 37712 psi. I have the full case water weight at 77.99 which may have been a default, but would think the shorter 2.500 cases would be less space and thus higher pressure, not lower. Must be something else I am not taking into account, perhaps seating depth (.875). Anyway it is always educational every time you post QL numbers and I try to run them myself to see if I am ballparked or not..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:I would love to try some of Ranch Dogs also however Carolina Bullet doesn't list his 45-70 bullets if he made them. I did get his 45 Colt 290 gr though from CB.
He has just about every mold I offered, just doesn't have them listed.
I wasn't aware of that RD so I'll contact him and see if he can make up an order of your TLC460-425-RF but for some reason I thought you made something in 500+ gr also but see it is the Pile Driver you had listed. I will drop him a line though shortly and ask about the 425.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Joe, I ran it again with the Accurate 5744...

45-70 Govt for the RG4570 at an OAL of 2.500". I think the RG is fully capable of 35.0 KPSI so that is what these loads are generated to. I generate loads with a case capacity of 86% to 105%, that has worked best all around for me. From my work with the pressure trace equipment and at the reloading bench, loads exceeding 105% have issues. The only powder affected by this caveat is IMR 3031 but you will see that I've included a 35.0 KPSI load with it for comparison. Finally, with RLD 7 there is always the question of; "are you talking about the new or old formula". The answer is; "I don't know", so use all the information below at your own risk.

430-grain lead bullet that is 1.035" long and sized to .458":
IMR 3031, 47.6-grains, 1698 FPS, 105% Case Capacity, 29.1 KPSI
IMR 3031, 50.3-grains, 1805 FPS, 111% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
IMR 4198, 41.2-grains, 1730 FPS, 95% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
RLD 7, 42.6-grains, 1733 FPS, 91% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
Accurate 5744, 35.0-grains, 1692 FPS, 77% Case Capacity, 34.9 KPSI

535-grain lead bullet that is 1.285" long and sized to .458":
IMR 3031, 38.2-grains, 1428 FPS, 105% Case Capacity, 28.3 KPSI
IMR 3031, 40.8-grains, 1533 FPS, 112% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
IMR 4198, 33.4-grains, 1461 FPS, 96% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
RLD 7, 34.5-grains, 1465 FPS, 92% Case Capacity, 35.0 KPSI
Accurate 5744, 28.3-grains, 1424 FPS, 78% Case Capacity, 34.8 KPSI

The information has been calculated at 70°. When shooting your loads, consider the grain or velocity max. Do not exceed either.
Darn RD thanks again and wished I was able to cast my own before you sold out but looks like I won't be out of here as quickly as I wanted to so will still be not likely till next year.
Joe
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

joec wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:
joec wrote:I would love to try some of Ranch Dogs also however Carolina Bullet doesn't list his 45-70 bullets if he made them. I did get his 45 Colt 290 gr though from CB.
He has just about every mold I offered, just doesn't have them listed.
I wasn't aware of that RD so I'll contact him and see if he can make up an order of your TLC460-425-RF but for some reason I thought you made something in 500+ gr also but see it is the Pile Driver you had listed. I will drop him a line though shortly and ask about the 425.
I checked with Jerry and he doesn't carry or have the mold for anything but the 350 gr 45-70. Oh well should of bought when they where available but didn't own a 45-70 then.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A little pictorial reminder to work those loads up carefully. :shock:
If you're like me you didn't come with any spare parts. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:Image

A little pictorial reminder to work those loads up carefully. :shock:
If you're like me you didn't come with any spare parts. :mrgreen:
Point taken and well understood. I actually start low but I weigh every charge as I don't trust any other method. Besides I have the time to spend reloading but not the time to go to the emergency room. Besides I only have one eye now and don't want to lose it too. :mrgreen:
Joe