45LC All Around & Plinking Loads

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
groo01

Re: 45LC All Around & Plinking Loads

Post by groo01 »

Groo here
Trailboss seems to work best at 90% to 100% fill with a good heavy magnum type crimp
and a hot [ magnum type ] primer.
The other load would be the standard 8 1/2 to 9 gr Unique with a 250 gr cast bullet.
I yet live
3Horse

Post by 3Horse »

Do you use a magnum or standard primer with Unique?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

3Horse wrote:Do you use a magnum or standard primer with Unique?
I don't think there's any reason to use a mag primer with Unique.
It sets off quite well with standard primers.
Winchester large pistol primers are labeled for use with Standard OR Magnum loads anyway.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

For the past year the Winchester LPP are all I've used. It was all I was able to find and I've been happy with them in all my large pistol applications.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Win primers are all I would use if there were no shortages. Of the 5-6 brands of primers I've tried, the Win are the most consistent.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I used to use Winchester whenever I could find them.

Winchester quality has taken a dump IMO.
(Not that some of the other manufacturers aren't nearly equally as guilty.)

My reasoning behind that statement:
1) Winchester changed the primers to delete the plating. This resulted in a change in the sensitivity of the primers. Reports of slam fires with M1 Garands and M1A rifles using the new unplated primers has resulted.
Reports are that newer versions may be back to snuff but how do you tell the difference?

2) Reports of certain lots of Magnum rifle primers cup cracking during firing resulting in cratering of bolt faces from the combustion gases jetting out of the crack. (Lot # DLL212G was reported on another site by a shooter I know there)
Similar reports have been frequenting the net since around Jan 2016 with both Large Rifle and Small Rifle primers being called out for cracking and pitting.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ster_Small (this thread also mentions the problem with LP primers from Winchester)
This flame cutting quickly becomes significant and can easily render a gun unsafe or inoperable.
I haven't found a recall notice or a list of primer lots that should be avoided.

3) It was a few years ago but Winchester recalled several lots of rimefire ammunition.

4) Reports from several vendors indicate customer problems with Winchester factor ammo the past year or two have been on the increase and have been higher than other brands.

Items 1 and 2 concern me because I used to load for military rifles using Winchester primers and I have a reasonable stock of them from the period after the change to unplated cups. I don't want to deal with either slam fires OR flame cutting.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Archer wrote:I used to use Winchester whenever I could find them.
<snip>
Winchester quality has taken a dump IMO.
(Not that some of the other manufacturers aren't nearly equally as guilty.)

Items 1 and 2 concern me because I used to load for military rifles using Winchester primers and I have a reasonable stock of them from the period after the change to unplated cups. I don't want to deal with either slam fires OR flame cutting.

for my gas guns, AR-15 and M1, I've switched to the CCI "Arsenal" primers and have no complaint after about 500 of each. I've also used a few of the large rifle in other guns when it was late at night and the all night primer store was out.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got quite a few Winchesters in stock.
I've been trying to switch to CCI military for the floating firing pin gas guns but going has been slow.

Having primers in the closet plus during the Obama years and part of the Bush years there wasn't always a lot of choice on the store or gunshow shelves and what was there was often over priced.

Certain venues on the gunshow side have prohibited powder or primers from being displayed or sold as well.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

There were times were them military primers were mia for sure I have a few thousand stashed. I buy when I find them.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!