Case Separation!

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
techiej

Case Separation!

Post by techiej »

I was shooting some 357 handloads (158gr SJSP, AA#5, 1466 fps through a 24" barrel) through my Rossi 92 lever action and had a case separation plus one about to separate.

I only noticed because I was shooting silhouette and saw the small part of the case land next to me :eek:

After making sure that the barrel was clear I shot some more without incident but while policing my brass found another that was about to go. These are both Blazer brass and have probably been reloaded 4-5 times.

Never had this happen with 357 - anyone else?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Case Separation!

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm sure you know usually caused by case stretch, but a bit unusual in straight wall pistol/rifle cases. Those cases may simply be reaching the end of their useful like. I think the only Blazer brass I've shot is 9mm and that stuff is only on its 3rd or 4th reload without signs of trouble. You might make a probe out of a paer clip and check some of the other cases for incipient separations.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

check out the similar topic list below.
I think we just had a discussion on this.
In addition there's a comment on one of the other threads linking THIS thread:
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... ated#p9785
Regarding case separation potentially due to improper crimping and older brass.
Ohio357MagFan

Post by Ohio357MagFan »

Techiej,

Check out the attached photo of a near case head separation I almost had, not sure why mine did it at the case head and yours in the middle but I did two things to help the cases last longer by working them less. First, keep in mind that the carbide die overworks the case because the sizing ring sizes it down the same from top to bottom. The remedy is to either get an old school steel sizing-decapping die or the Redding Dual Ring Carbide sizing die. Either way, these dies size the case so the top third gets sized down more for bullet tension and the bottom two thirds gets sized down way less, so there is a bit of a tapered shape. The redding dual ring carbide die will not need any lube, it has two carbide rings and the bottom ring sizes the bottom 2/3 of the case a lot less. The other alternative is to neck size your straightwall handgun brass, you should get about 3-4 loads before needing to full length size it again, but it will make it so there is much less working of the brass, here is a youtube video I made of how I neck size the brass...

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 22 Sep 2016 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted video rather than link it.