new .44 mag and a place to start load development

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: new .44 mag and a place to start load development

Post by Archer »

Consistent crimp is something I do worry about with magnum handguns rounds at high power factors.
Crimping is required to prevent setback in lever action tubular magazines and to prevent bullets being pulled forward under recoil in revolvers. With magnum powders it also aids in consistent ignition since low case density is a no-no. If the bullet is 'popped' loose by the primer that leads to the same basic thing as starting with low case density.
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

sheepherder wrote:
The Sierra bullets I am using have a cannelure but it does not really get to the case mouth at the COAL that is recommended. Still crimped the cartridge. Do people out there worry about where the crimp is and if so do they then trim all their new case to match crimp point and cannelure on the bullet? Perhaps I can't see the crimp is really catching the cannelure at it lower edge which is inside the case?
Don't shoot for exact COAL that the book calls for. Instead seat the bullet into the case to the middle of the cannelure which is the deepest on most bullets but still the target regardless. That COAL may not match book but is real world and safe.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

bamboozler wrote:
Don't shoot for exact COAL that the book calls for. Instead seat the bullet into the case to the middle of the cannelure which is the deepest on most bullets but still the target regardless. That COAL may not match book but is real world and safe.
I second that.
sheepherder

Post by sheepherder »

Thought I would relate a story for others new to hand loading.

When looking for loads on the web or in books, keep in mind the bullet that is being used. The details can matters for weight, style, make-up (composition and materials), what guns to be used etc. Something I did not appreciate enough. For example, Hornady has a 240 grain jacketed bullet, seat depth 1.61. Sierra, same weight and shape, 1.6. I mention because the 1.61 coal does not really catch the crimp groove. The good news they still shoot and don't really seem to move the bullet based on the low power loads.

There is a site (yes it cost money) Load Data that has a good set of data with a pretty good look up function. I finally found some load data for Sierra 250 grain jacketed bullets. Apparently they are favored by silhouette shooters. Also broke down and bought a Sierra load book. The caliber specific books (sorta like cliff notes) do not have all the data a book published by the bullet manufacturer does.

In closing I must say the .44 mag is an impressive round, even loaded down. It is amazing to me how much more pop it has compared to the .44 lc. Yes I know you can load them to similar power levels, perhaps it is the pistol design, but the muzzle flip on a .44 mag is impressive.

Sheepherder

PS Question for the old hands, when you follow loading data for a particular powder and all of a sudden it is not included for heavier bullets, how can you tell they don't recommend that powder weight combination or they just did not test it?
bamboozler

Post by bamboozler »

sheepherder wrote:
PS Question for the old hands, when you follow loading data for a particular powder and all of a sudden it is not included for heavier bullets, how can you tell they don't recommend that powder weight combination or they just did not test it?
When handloading and selecting powder burn rate think resistance, velocity & pressure. Resistance is the case tension and crimp, bullet weight and material, bullet diameter and bearing surface.

The higher the resistance the slower the powder to use for example H110, W296 & IMR 4227 work best from 200gr and up in the 44 mag. Powders have a pressure range they need to run in to perform best so a upper and lower limit is good to stay in. For example Hodgdon lists for H110, 240gr Jacketed bullet 23.0 to 24.0gr. Go over or under and the burn isn't as good.

Each powder has characteristics that make it better and more adaptable than others.

Now given my username I'll let you decide if any of that is true. :mrgreen:
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'll second the review of Load Data it is a handy site. I've had a subscription there for about 10 years now I think it's been and use it weekly it seems.

Do beware of the cautions about reducing loads of the slower powders below the minimum recommended it's not necessarily dangerous, unless you count stuck bullets dangerous but they do not perform well at the reduced pressures. You also want a tight crimp with those guys as well. My on feeling is that with big cases and heavy bullets H110 and it kindred are hard to beat although I've always found 4227/H4227 a bit finicky and fidly when doing load development.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image