Tips on using the Lee Loadmaster?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Tips on using the Lee Loadmaster?

Post by Archer »

I'm a single stage and Dillon guy mostly.
I have some Lee dies and a lightweight single stage Lee press, the Lee hand primer (from back when it was round), some Lee trimmer tools and a few odds and ends.
I've also got a smaller RCBS single stage, a Forester Coax, Dillon 550 and SDB progressive presses and dies from several other manufacturers depending on caliber and function.

One of my buds did the math and decided that a Lee Loadmaster was somewhat more economical WRT acquisition cost especially factoring in multiple tool heads and shellplates / caliber conversion sets.

He purchased one and set it up puzzling out the mechanics and mechanism behind how it works a few months ago.
He finally got around to attempting to load with it this weekend. It was supplied in .223/5.56 caliber and that was what he attempted to load.

The primer feed didn't.
The case feeder was ok initially but then later refused to slip the case the last 3/8 to 1/2 inch.
The AutoDisk Powder dump was mostly ok. I thought the consistency was pretty good once it was dialed in with the right cavities.
Seating depth and crimp were somewhat less than I'd call acceptable.

Anybody have any tips or advice I can pass on to my bud concerning this machine and his plans to load several (.45 ACP, .357 Mag, .38 Special and 5.56/.223) on it?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tips on using the Lee Loadmaster?

Post by Ranch Dog »

My experience has been that you need to work each step through individually to ensuring it functions, then move to the next. Otherwise, you end up chasing "chickens".

The advice I have to pass on is patience, understand what is happening at each stage, and keep at it. If you get frustrated, take a day off, do a little research, and then hit it again.

I operate three of these things, all as "fixed" cartridge loaders. I haven't been swapping turrets & shell plates because I haven't wanted to mess with them. That's gon'na change now that I'm retired, they are going to become more versatile across the cartridges I load.
Michael
dannyabear

Post by dannyabear »

There are several videos on youtube showing the setup and fine tuning of these. The primer feed will always be a problem, I sold mine and bought the Lee Classic turret press. Much better but takes a few more pulls of the handle
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I tend to like the Lee Turret press.
I suggested that before he picked this one up.

The steps RD mentions are the same ones I've always used with any loader including the Dillons.

My friend called me this evening and said taking it apart and cleaning it up making sure there weren't any loose powder granules anywhere had helped a lot.
He thinks running .38 or .357 though it will be easier than running the .223.
He said the primer setup was very dependant on assembling it exactly right and even then there's a pretty good chance it won't feed well.

This past year I've picked up several new toolheads and a few caliber conversions or funnels for the Dillon 550, one of the Inline Fabrication riser stands with quick change plates for my three large presses and the Dillon primer pocket swager. My intent is to really put that puppy to work being able to change calibers easily. Once I've got that down I may decide to sell the Square Deal.
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

I also have the Loadmaster press. If you buy Lee you buy to tinker and you must be a patient tinkerer also. The Loadmaster exemplifies this. But.....when you find the groove it works fine. I shoot a lot of 9mm in competition so my Loadmaster is dedicated to that calibre. It allows FCD on the last stage. Interestingly, the Lee Pro 1000's that I have for .45acp and .38 Special are also back in use and I look on them in a different light now.....they also are absolutely fine just get the rhythms and "feel" the thing working. I use the Lee FCD on A separate press. Lee say that calibre change is easy, that's not true. Neither the Pro 1000 or the Loadmaster make it easy and, in my opinion, this is where the frustration begins. It's a good thing that the Lee presses are cheap as it allows dedicated presses to calibre production. I have never owned a Dillon Press but I geuss they never have problems.....yes?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I wouldn't say never have problems but they are solid and once set up there's not a lot of fiddle factor.
WRT the Square Deal B and the RL550 B Most of the actions are positive, less reliance on plastic sliding parts somewhat better fit. Possibly slightly tighter tolerances but that might be subjective.

I've been told that the 650s are much like the 550s except the shell feeder causes some fiddle factor setting things up and make changing from caliber to caliber a bit more of a PITA.

I purchased my Dillons from a fellow who had a dedicated press for each caliber he loaded. He decided to get out of it and I picked up 3 550s and 2 SDBs from him along with the Coax and a light RCBS single stage, plus 2 Dillon power trimmers and a truckload of components. I ended up splitting them up with another couple buds as I saw little reason to keep that many machines. I've recently picked up parts for the 550 to allow me to set up dedicated toolheads for it and make quicker caliber conversions.

My bud with the Loadmaster says he's committed to running it AND changing calibers on it but intends to mostly stick to pistol on it and will ditch the .223 back to single stage production if that's what it takes.