Measure trouble

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Measure trouble

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:I have a digital scale from Cabela's but don't trust it. My ceiling fan and air flow from the HAC vent causes it to continuously move back and forth.
^THIS^
I have found also applies to the Lee balance scale in some cases. The scale is so light weight that any little thing can make it show variations when weighing the same darned item.

As for bullets for check weights. IF you are weighing bullets or cases then maybe this makes sense.
BUT if you are weighing powder charges for pistol that should be 6.0 grains to 20 some odd grains using a check weight that is double to 50 times the target weight may not give you an accurate calibration check.
nharrison

Post by nharrison »

Update. Today I weighed 158 gr bullits. My ditigal scale was right on but the balance scale was inconsistent. Weighing them from 160 to 163. These same bullets all weighed 158 from digital scale. The balance scale is new and had great reviews so I purchased it. Not sure what to do at this point but leaning on using digital scale and start loading
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

nharrison wrote:Update. Today I weighed 158 gr bullits. My ditigal scale was right on but the balance scale was inconsistent. Weighing them from 160 to 163. These same bullets all weighed 158 from digital scale. The balance scale is new and had great reviews so I purchased it. Not sure what to do at this point but leaning on using digital scale and start loading
The balance beam scale should have a way to correct itself to the 158-grains.
Michael
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

nh,

Dust and misalignment are the main problems with beam scales. I have three old Lyman scales and they all weigh perfectly. Very easy to zero, but duct on the knives or their V-block seats, will throw them off a tad. I lift up the knives and blow the dust off, and also the dust on the beam. Then wiggle them back into their seats, and it will be dead on.

I just wont use electronic scales as every one I have dealt with will drift, and the beam is so easy, so why bother.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Contact manufacture if rcbs they have calibration kits for their scales. They sent me one free for an ohaus 1010 beam scale. Grey in color rcbs now has this model in green. Rcbs sent me the kit free. Best scale for accuracy I've had.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
nharrison

Post by nharrison »

This is a new scale so dust isn't my problem. I will contact maker of the scale and go from there. I'm leaning on maybe buying the hornady kick n load powder measure and digital scale combo
nharrison

Post by nharrison »

As far as the balance scale I will prob throw it in a drawer and move on. 85 dollars wasted. Lol
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Akuser47,
I'm also using a 1010 scale. One of my buddies got one in college and I was impressed enough I did the same.
A fellow I've been helping learn reloading got very frustrated with the Lee beam scale recently and didn't want to spend what the 1010 now runs so I helped him find a deal on the Redding beam scale. I was very impressed with it. The only thing I didn't like was the leveling screw needs to be filed a little on the point to prevent it walking on the table top when adjusting it. Otherwise it was an accurate scale that had an accurate over/under graduation that proved to be dead on as to variation. If my 1010 had that same feature I'd be tickled pink.

I didn't know RCBS was sending out calibration kits. I bought a set of check weights some years ago when Midway had them on sale.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I didn't know they would especially beens mine was an ohaus 1010 not rcbs branded. Same exactly except mines grey not green. In the pan that hangs there is bbs or like lead shot that you use to calibrate it. I called them asked what to do as I could not get it zeroed at all they ask for my address week later they sent me new pan n hook with calibration weight bag of bb's, powder pan. I was impressed. After following directions. It's been dead on. Never an issue since.
The 1010 comes with a check weight. Also.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
nharrison

Post by nharrison »

I called them today and they told me to send it to them and will look it over and fix or send me a new one. Great service.