working up a new load for RG 45-70

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
LeverLover4570

working up a new load for RG 45-70

Post by LeverLover4570 »

Found a thread that is nearly 2 years old on the subject of what bullets are being used in these RG45-70's, but few people responded. I'm looking at working up a moderately stout load for Hog/shoulder bruising at the range, using 300gr Sierra JHP's atop H4895. Anybody use this combo? I'm looking to get an approximate trajectory in preparation for shooting the lead free stuff here in the California Condor range, which is pretty much limited to 300gr due to its length. From what I've read, they should be pushed to between 1900-2100 fps at the muzzle for best performance out to 150 yards.

Has anybody had any experience with either of these? Reccomendations? Of course I realize that I will need a different powder for the lead free stuff.

Thank you!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: working up a new load for RG 45-70

Post by Ranch Dog »

What specific bullet are you looking at using? I have Quickload and don't mind help others with a load suggestions. They are to be used at your own risk. What I need to know besides the bullet, is the bullet length and the cartridge overall length you will be using. From there, naming the powders you prefer to use is helpful or it is also just as easy to run a complete list of recommendations.

Are you just shooting in the desert or hunting?
Michael
LeverLover4570

Post by LeverLover4570 »

For the Sierra JHP load I'm thinking of 56gr of H4895. I was hoping to get Reccomendations for the "CA approved" lead free slugs, according to what shoots good out of our Rossi's. I have no powder preferences since I've never loaded for this round yet. Really, whatever is most accurate and most available. The only lead free stuff I've shot was loaded by a company called "Prograde" which was pretty cheap for that type of ammo (around $38 per 20 at Selway Armory), and it shot pretty hot. I didn't have my chrony to check it's mv, but I'm guessing it was in the 2000 range. Maybe I should just work up my sierra load to match the store bought Prograde, as cheap as it is...I won't be plinking with the lead free rounds due to their cost anyway. I rarely hunt.

What do you think?

Thx!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I only need the bullet length and cartridge overall length and I will work it up for you.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I think I'm using H322 in my 300 grain .45-70 loads.

I haven't gotten to the point of loading any lead free stuff however in .45-70.
My plan is/was to load Barnes SSXTs or Hornady GMXs in .308 and/or .30-06 and maybe .243 rather than deal with rather limited selection of lead free designed for .45-70 or even .30-30.

The whole condor eating lead bullets think is a crock anyway since most of them are killed by trucks while they are attempting to feast on road kill and most gutpiles don't contain the offending bullet or lead fragments anyway. The anti gun and anti hunting clowns have gotten together in another attempt to force game mismanagement and gun control on us. Pity we just have to suck it up and deal with it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:The whole condor eating lead bullets think is a crock anyway since most of them are killed by trucks while they are attempting to feast on road kill and most gutpiles don't contain the offending bullet or lead fragments anyway. The anti gun and anti hunting clowns have gotten together in another attempt to force game mismanagement and gun control on us. Pity we just have to suck it up and deal with it.
Well said Archer!
Michael
knifemaker

Post by knifemaker »

I would not consider the Sierra 300 gr. HP for shooting pigs. It is a good deer bullet if confined to lung-heart shots. It has too light of a jacket will blow up at speeds over 1400 fps if any bone, even rib bone is hit. My son lost a 150 pound pig that he used that bullet on. Hit the shoulder at 50 yards and never was able to track down the pig. blood trail disappeared after about 50 yards indicating the bullet did not get into the vital organs. For a great factory pig load, look at the Hornady 350 gr. FP. I shot a 200 lb. boar that was facing me in the junction between neck and shoulder and recovered the bullet in front of the left rear ham. About 27 inches of penetration. dropped the pig in his tracks and I have used that bullet to take several buffalo, American bison, with one shot kills. I load it between 1800-1900 FPS.
The Ranch Dog 350 gr. FP with gas check is also a great bullet for tough game. Have used it also at 1850 fps to make one shot kills on buffalo. I'll never sell that mold. sized to .460 it delivers 1 inch groups at 100 yards with my Marlin 1895 LTD-V lever action. Will never sell that gun either.