I Won it but what?

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: I Won it but what?

Post by mr surveyor »

o.k., dried my eyes and looked at your pics.....

I'm going to "guess" that the gentleman that used the duct tape and hand written labels most likely split an 8 lb keg of powder with someone else .... if so, it would have been somewhat better if he had also written the "lot number" of the original container onto the duct tape.

Like RD said, if you can do a visual comparison of the powder from actual pics, I would think you may be o.k. for low end start loads .... but still your choice.

Heck, I'm just a lifelong rookie though

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I agree with JD on his assessment on the why of the 700X. I would still want to compare the powder to an image just to be sure.

The story behind these components also caused me to think of how we need to care for the components we have and document what we do with them. Most of us are going to leave components behind and in light of the days we live in, they will only become more valuable and surely be something others would appreciate.
Michael
jdb

Post by jdb »

First, GREAT to hear about your grandson. I know the experience all to well. Great news.

And yep, the guys are right. Just do a visual inspection compared with the pics that are pretty easy to find on the internet.

As to that BP rifle. If you don't want that ugly ol' mountain rifle...I'll be glad to take it off your hands. ;~)

The Thompson Center, 54 cal Renegade is the FINEST ALL AROUND BLACK POWDER RIFLE EVER PRODUCED...PERIOD!

Seriously, I have been shooting that exact rifle since the early 70s and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another one. Of course mine ain't as purddy as that one any more. To many trips through the woods. ;~)

They are amazing guns. Just be sure to use the right size, 229 grain round ball, can't remember the diameter at the moment, and make sure to use TC patches, which are thicker than some manufactures and it will drive tacks out to 100 yards.

I actually have mine zeroed at 25 yards with a patched round ball and 50 grains of black powder and when I take it hunting, I just boost the powder charge to 90 grains and it is DEAD ON at 75 yards. I mean the makes ONE HOLE where the bullseye use to be at 75 yards, kind of accurate.

But if you use it, be warned. Mine does NOT like pyrodex a LICK and it will NOT shoot sabots and bullets at all. Sprays them everywhere and it won't group Maxi bullets worth a hoot either. I was lucky to 6" groups at 50 yards. Of course, a half inch, 435 grain bullet don't really need to be that well placed to be effective. ;~)

But the problem is that the twist in the barrel is optimized for a patched round ball and it just won't bite enough to shoot anything else accurately. I've tried HUNDREDS of different combinations trying to get it to. But maybe yours will.

By the way, if I remember right, the max load for the gun as per Thompson Center is 120 grains of BP with a 229 grain patched round ball and while it kicks like a mule and really sends um zinging down range, they are not as accurate in my Renegade as they are with 90 grains. But if you want to have some fun with your buddies, stuff it with a 120 gains of BP and a patched round ball when no one is looking and hand it to the macho man in the crowd.

Just be standing near him. My brother and I still laugh about me catching the gun and letting him land on his butt many years ago. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

Just be standing near him. My brother and I still laugh about me catching the gun and letting him land on his butt many years ago. ;~)
Luv It +1

Great news about your gson.

Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

RD, the same would be true for 44 special also? And give more consistent shot to shot variation? Do any of the competition shooters shoot the slower rifle powders in 357/44 special rifles ?