Loads for 24" 92 .357 - NRA pistol caliber Silhouette

Extend your shooting experience while reducing the cost of your ammunition!
singleshotcajun

Loads for 24" 92 .357 - NRA pistol caliber Silhouette

Post by singleshotcajun »

I have a 24" 92 in route to me that I intend to use in NRA Cowboy pistol caliber silhouette. I will be installing a Lyman 17a front sight and a Marbles Improved tang sight. I have some PPU Copper jacted and RNFP lead 38 spcl factory loads that I will use for break in. I have never loaded pistol ammo but plan to get dies and load with my Lee classic press one at a time just as I load all of my rifle ammo(I don't mind the time it takes). Any suggestions for a starting load that will be good for pistol caliber rams at 100 meters down to the 40 meter chickens. My main objective is economy and accuracy fps only needs to be enough to knock down the 100 meter rams with reasonable bullet drop from 40 to 100 meters. Thanks.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Loads for 24" 92 .357 - NRA pistol caliber Silhouette

Post by rman »

I'm in the same boat singleshot. I just bought a 92 for pistol caliber silhouette. I do reload, but don't have a great idea about what will work the best. The pistol silhouettes don't take a lot of energy to go down. I've always shot a lot of 125 gr Hornady JHPs or XTPs in revolvers, so I have a bunch on hand. I've been able to get great accuracy out of them in a 6.5" Ruger Blackhawk. I'm going to start out using them in .357 Mag cases, but loaded closer to .38 Special velocities. I've loaded up 50 rounds to test. Powder charges range from 6.5 to 7.0 gr of Unique and 6.7 to 7.0 gr of Win 231. A friend of mine uses 125 gr Berrys RN plated bullets with 7.0 gr of Unique and says they work well for him. If I ever get this gun ready, I will shoot these and let you know how well they work. Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting and with a lot of attention to detail and some experimentation, you can find a load that will shoot good in your rifle.
Last edited by rman on 21 Jul 2014 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

SSCajun - I've had a chance to do a little bit of load development for my 92. Because I intend to use it for pistol caliber only and not big bore, I'm basically looking for "bunny fart" loads.

All groups were 5 shots at 50 yards from the bench with a Williams Foolproof receiver sight.

Norma Brass
CCI 500 Primers

Berrys 125 gr Plated FP Bullets
4.5 gr W231 - 1.50"
5.0 gr W231 - 1.12"

Berrys 125 gr Cast FP Bullets
4.5 gr W231 - 1.10"
5.0 gr W231 - 0.78"

I tried these same bullets with 4.0 and 4.5 gr of Trail Boss, but groups ran 2-2.5". In my rifle, the cast bullets seem to shoot a bit better than the plated. 5.0 gr of W231 shot the best and is a nice mild load with little recoil or muzzle blast. I haven't tried them at 100 yards yet. You should be able to substitute HP38 for the W231.

I also tried Hornady 125 gr XTP JHP Bullets with 6.5 & 7.0 gr of Unique and 6.7 and 7.0 gr of W231.
6.7 gr of W231 shot the best - 1.125", but the bullets cost over twice as much.

I hope to do a little more development, but I'm pretty pleased with the Berry's Hard Cast 125 gr FP and 5.0 gr of W231.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
singleshotcajun

Post by singleshotcajun »

Thanks for the report, good information. I plan to put a bunch more jacketed rounds down the pipe before trying cast loads. One worry though I just reliazed that the 1000 rounds I ordered and have shot a bunch of are round nose. I have only loaded five at a time but still it is a worry. I've shot over 100 this way with no unwanted explosions.
We are told NOT TO judge Islam by the actions of a few lunatics. However we are encouraged TO judge ALL Gun Owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
NRA Lifer, TSRA, PSC Shooting Club
SHALOM Y'ALL In God we trust, Romans 8:28
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

No problem chain ignitions in mag tubes are generally more concern with pointed jacketed bullets.
Also it is more concern with heavy recoiling pointed bullets.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I concur with AK-47's comment. I loaded and fired a lot of 110 gr. RN soft point M-1 carbine boolitz over the years at the full size regulation silhouette targets. When my sources for the RN soft point M-1 boolitz dried up in recent years, I had to switch to FMJ round nose 110 gr pellets. i am loading for a Winchester .30-30 and have not had any rounds go off in the tube magazine. These are light weight boolitz and I don't load them excessively hot. My loads are effective, but the 200 meter rams tip slowly backwards.

If you are still concerened about it, next time order 125 gr. flap point boolitz from Berrys.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith