Henry 45-70 - Lemon Law?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Zippidydoodah

Re: Henry 45-70 - Lemon Law?

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Several of the "high recoil" Rossi 92's have the magazine tube threaded and screwed into the receiver rsther than pushed in. You might be able to knurl the outside of the tube (produces interference fit or enlarge it) and then put it back together with some lock tite.
boolitcastermaster

Post by boolitcastermaster »

Looks like I made the right choice with the Marlin Guide Gun for dependability and strength shooting warm to max 45-70 loads. Don't hear of 1895s and GGs falling apart and they've been around forever.
Seems the Rio and Henry 45-70 models are too flimsy and fall apart.
Don't need that happening with a big bull elk in the cross-hairs.
As far as Rossi brand guns go I'll stick with my two Rossi 92s which have shot several hundred rounds each with no problems.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

boolitcastermaster wrote:Looks like I made the right choice with the Marlin Guide Gun for dependability and strength shooting warm to max 45-70 loads. Don't hear of 1895s and GGs falling apart and they've been around forever.
As far as Rossi brand guns go I'll stick with my two Rossi 92s which have shot several hundred rounds each with no problems.
Matter of opinion. My Rio Grande took over my nilgai hunting. I sold my 1895G and 1895MR, got tired of lugging them around.
Michael
boolitcastermaster

Ranch Dog wrote:
boolitcastermaster wrote:Looks like I made the right choice with the Marlin Guide Gun for dependability and strength shooting warm to max 45-70 loads. Don't hear of 1895s and GGs falling apart and they've been around forever.
Matter of opinion. My Rio Grande took over my nilgai hunting. I sold my 1895G and 1895MR, got tired of lugging them around.
Maybe the bit of extra steel in the Marlins serves a purpose.
My brother has an older JM Marlin 1895 with the full length 22" barrel that he bought before Marlin made Guide Guns and that thing might be missing a lot of the original bluing and has a few scratches and dings in the walnut stock but it has never let him down in the field or on the range.
I load his ammo and that stuff is moving those 430 grain hard cast lead pills out about 1950 fps.
The gun is not light but elk are on their sides treading air a split second after the hammer drops.
When I shoot I want nothing dropping on the ground except dead game and empty brass.
Certainly not parts off the gun or me.
The Rios haven't been out that long and I'm sure Rossi would like to get a leg up on Marlin, Henry and Mossberg by improving the design of their gun as customers make them aware of issues and problems.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

boolitcastermaster wrote: When I shoot I want nothing dropping on the ground except dead game and empty brass.
Certainly not parts off the gun or me.
The Rios haven't been out that long and I'm sure Rossi would like to get a leg up on Marlin, Henry and Mossberg by improving the design of their gun as customers make them aware of issues and problems.
I just don't see that you have any experience level with the RG4570 to be making the claims you have made above, especially in light that you don't own a RG4570.

I've owned one from the beginning, three year almost to the date. I've killed no less than 2 dozen big game animals with it in all kinds of conditions. I have shot hundreds of rounds through this rifle and have not seen the problems you elude to. In fact, I'm out in the brush with it right now waiting on a South Texas whitetail.

At the time I purchased my RG4570, I owned a Marlin 1895G and 1895MR. After a year's experience with the RG, I made a educated decision to sell the Marlins. That is how you evaluate something.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Marlin Problems?
(don't forget to read the comments.)

Death of the Marlin Levergun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOrbeQNi2E

Marlin’s Back And It’s Bad! I Mean Good. I Mean, We’ll See . . .
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... -well-see/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Cdu2EI5MY

Come On Marlin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi79kO51R4U
jdb

Post by jdb »

It's comical how what goes around comes around. Marlin has been around for a while, but it wasn't that many years ago when Marlin was EXACTLY where Rossi is in the market right now. It was the poor man's Winchester. After Marlin came into the market, a few of the Winchester clone imports from Italy and Spain were pretty much pushed out, but Winchester was still the big dog. Marlin basically just survived filling the gaps Winchester left for most of their early history.

Marlin didn't really come into their own until middle class affiance in the middle of last century began producing a demand for things like their 22s and the 30/30 for sport hunting with scopes, which made even bad shots, good. That's when Marlin really took off. Reasonable price, allowed for scope mounts, functioned well...after the redesign in the 40s...and came in a wide range of calibers. All that from a company that went from being purchased...LITERALLY...for 100 bucks in the 1920s to producing the the beloved and VASTLY improved but heavy 336 some 20 years later. What's not to love? ;~)

Now we have Rossi, who is basically producing a Winchester clone in a LOT of calibers using modern materials and at a MUCH better price than anyone else. Difference is, advances in scope technology have allowed Rossi to take advantage of the nostalgia people feel for the old light weight Winchester top eject designs and we old guys can STILL hit the target. ;~)

Rossi is eating into ALL the other manufactures bottom line. Just like Marlin did to Winchester in the last century. INCLUDING Henry who bought the name Henry and is trying to take advantage of the nostalgia for that name by producing a hybrid Marlin clone that's even more expensive than the Marlin. LOL

But I'd be willing to bet that in 50-100 years, people will wax every bit as nostalgic about the venerable Rossi 92 as they do the upstart Marlin today given that there will be so many of them around.

IF they can still even OWN guns in this dang country then! ;~0
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
JMaslonik

Post by JMaslonik »

Just an update on my Henry 45-70.
A representative called me back and after my explanation of the exact same repair being done the 3rd time and not being impressed. He gave me the following options:
1. Intensive test fires
2. Brand new gun
3. Exchange for another model
4. Full refund. (He was astonished that this wasn't offered at the 2nd time back)

I gave it much thought and drafted a letter requesting my money back. We'll see if they follow through.
Now I'm in the market to start looking at other brands. I really considered the Rio because I love my 92 357mag but I've been reading some on here have been having the same problem as I do with the henry. I definitely want to keep the 45-70 cartridge though.

Thank you all for the replies.
boolitcastermaster

JMaslonik wrote:
Now I'm in the market to start looking at other brands. I definitely want to keep the 45-70 cartridge though.
The only other brands of legacy style 45-70 leverguns besides the ones already discussed on this thread that I have ever checked out in local gun shops are several styles of Miroku Winchester 1886 rifles which are crazy expensive and way too heavy and the Italian makes (Chiappa, Uberti and Pedersoli) which are just crazy expensive. The rifles had great wood, slick actions and appeared to be very well made but one look at the price tags and I totally lost interest.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Aren't the Rossi 45-70 mag tubes threaded or is it only 454 Cassull? Anyway putting one or two small set screws in the band, etc will anchor the tube from moving but still allow for disassembly when required.