Henry 45-70 - Lemon Law?

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
JMaslonik

Henry 45-70 - Lemon Law?

Post by JMaslonik »

Hi all,

I am one of few that has bought a Henry 45-70 (came out in 2012) and I have sent it back for warranty repair because the bottom tube would move forward due to recoil. This would cause the tube plunger to become stuck in the tube causing ammo to stick in the tube and not allowing one to remove the plunger by fingers. I already sent it back TWICE already and always the exact problem. I am going to call tomorrow the guy I have been emailing before; however, I'm unsure what to ask for?

with this being my THIRD time going back I'm wondering if the LEMON LAW applies for guns? Can I ask for a full refund? I'm pretty sure they would send a brand new gun at this point but I'm not sure I want one... I've taken this rifle apart to examine how/ why it is doing this and I came to the conclusion of poor design. There is nothing physically keeping the tube in place other than 2 barrel bands and one very small screw that barely enters the tube (plunger has to go through tube). So I belive this will never be fixed without redesign.

This gun is relativly new so i can't find anyone with the same problem. Any thoughts of what type of remedy I should expect and should ask for would be greatly appreciated!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Henry 45-70 - Lemon Law?

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry to hear this. I would ask for them to replace the gun. Or ask them to fire 50 rounds to verify it's fixed.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
JMaslonik

Post by JMaslonik »

I just got off the phone with them and I'm not much of a confronting person to demand this that and the other, but I did mention this problem has occurred for the 3rd time. He mentioned that this is a well known problem with the gun and since they last "repaired" it for me back in June 2014, they made a slight design change for attaching the bottom tube to the receiver. He is sending me postage to to return the gun and hopefully it gets back in time for PA hunting season. Their turnaround time is amazing. I think last time I sent mine in it took less than 14 days from the day I mailed it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

JMaslonik wrote:I just got off the phone with them and I'm not much of a confronting person to demand this that and the other, but I did mention this problem has occurred for the 3rd time. He mentioned that this is a well known problem with the gun and since they last "repaired" it for me back in June 2014, they made a slight design change for attaching the bottom tube to the receiver. He is sending me postage to to return the gun and hopefully it gets back in time for PA hunting season. Their turnaround time is amazing. I think last time I sent mine in it took less than 14 days from the day I mailed it.
Good thing you contacted them and it is great that they are addressing the issue. Hopefully this will resolve it in a timely manner!
Michael
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

This is why Rossi threads their tubes on .454 rifles.

Let me know what they do - I'm interested.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

7.62 Precision wrote:This is why Rossi threads their tubes on .454 rifles.

Funny they don't do it on the Rio Grande chambered in 45-70 Govt :?
Michael
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Do the RG use a dovetailed stud like Marlin? Looks like they don't.

Winchester used a magazine cap with a raised portion that rotated into a slot in the barrel on some rifles.

I am interested to see how Henry changed theirs. The RG apparently does not have this issue?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

7.62 Precision wrote:Do the RG use a dovetailed stud like Marlin? Looks like they don't.
Nope! Just the two bands. Same as my early 444.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Henry IME is a pretty good company concerned with customer satisfaction and word of mouth with regard to their guns. I'm glad to hear they are working the issue and hope they'll fix it for good.

Firearms are not so far as I am aware covered under ANY lemon law nor do I think we would prefer them to be. I KNOW some years back the liberals were attempting to make a stink regarding the fact that they are specifically exempt from the consumer protection act and not subject to such review.

I for one do not want a gooberment agency full of idiot nanny types who want to wrap the world in eco-friendly bubble wrap attempting to determine the safety and suitability of my firearm. Bad enough I've got the bloody CA-DOJ interfering in what I can by with their Handgun Safety Extortion list and the additional Arnold magazine safeties and loaded chamber indicators that allow our vindictive batcrap crazy state Atty General Kamala Harris to tell Ruger they must resubmit their handguns for review because they changed a spring vendor (NOT the spring tech specs mind you just the vendor) and because it has to be resubmitted it MUST include chamber marking this time around regardless of the fact that technology has been proven faulty and unreliable.

Better to deal with the company direct and if you can't get it resolved go public with a Youtube video or hit twelve or thirty forums like this one.

It may be different now but I know in the past most firearms manufacturers have gone out of their way to attempt to make things right for their customers. That may have changed with the huge conglomerates now days.
boolitcastermaster

Post by boolitcastermaster »

Ranch Dog wrote:
7.62 Precision wrote:This is why Rossi threads their tubes on .454 rifles.

Funny they don't do it on the Rio Grande chambered in 45-70 Govt :?
Sorry to hear about the OPs problems with his Henry 45-70.
Back in the old black powder days the conventional tube designs with the bands and keeper pin near the muzzle worked just fine but now with some HSM, Buffalo Bore and Garrett brand 45-70 ammo putting out over 3500 ft-lbs of muzzle energy the guns are being shocked and stressed a lot more causing the mag tubes to come loose.
Threading the base of the tube magazine into the receiver makes it a lot more secure.
Actually the idea of threading the magazine tube into the receiver started with the John Browning designed take down mechanism for Winchester lever action rifles where the tube magazine threads into the receiver and locks the two parts of the rifle together and prevents them from turning with respect to each other.