Marlin 1895gbl 45-70

Chiappa, Marlin, Mossberg and non-Rossi Manufactured Pumas plus anything else with a leveraction.
Flynnismydog

Marlin 1895gbl 45-70

Post by Flynnismydog »

Hi just wondering what you guys think of the marlin 1895gbl. I was wanting it for deer and a bit of fun at the range but I'm worried about the qc issues any advice.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Marlin 1895gbl 45-70

Post by Archer »

My advice is to look over the gun closely.
Check very closely the indexing of the barrel. If the sights don't line up top dead center then walk away.
Run the action and check for smoothness. The lever should not need a come along to pull it out of the detent.
Give an overall look at the gun and see if there's any dings on it in the metal. I've read one report of a gun being returned from the factory for a minor issue showing up with a major dent in the receiver after it was 'fixed'.

I have heard that quality is finally on the upswing.
One of the guys who used to post here said he purchased two of them the past year and they were PERFECT as were the rest on the shelf where he bought them.

I've run into about 25% obvious shouldn't have gotten out of the factory on the ones I've looked about two years ago.

That said I've got a buddy who got a 336 for himself and his nephew did the same both of them got good guns. I think both of them ordered from Buds and the buddy got his when Marlin/Remington's screw ups were supposed to be most evident.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Agreed with above check it out also check on marlin owners forum to see what quality is the trend right now. Keep us posted
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I have to agree with everything Archer said ..... strange, I leave for 5 or 6 days and come back and find that Archer is a genius :)

(he's 100% spot on in my opinion)

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Flynnismydog

Post by Flynnismydog »

Thanks guys I think you just saved me a fortune. When I went to have a look at the rifle the sights where at an angle and the action was horrible. i don't know how they can let rifles out of the factory like that anyway I will have to keep looking. thanks again
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you want a new Remlin and not an original Marlin then wait. There was news not that long ago that Remington finally got around to getting the gear set right on the 336 line and they are supposed to be good to go finally. They blue printed the action and such to get it right. But that's the only one they have done so far so if you wan any of the pistol calibers or the 45-70 then I would sit the fence a while longer.

Or you could just buy the Rossi... :P
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

A fellow ordered in a 1895 .45-70 not too long ago to be received through the shop I hang out at.
I didn't examine the gun but I did see him as he picked it up on one of my visits. He SEEMED pleased.
The shop owner won't order Marlins right now because of the problems Remington has had producing them.
That may change but he's pretty particular about not carrying product he can't stand behind AND rely on the manufacturer to do the same.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I can't prove it, but I've heard that Remington finally got their own tooling set up, and CNC files generated, and the Marlin line is looking "better". I read that when the "takeover" too place, all the former Marlin craftsmen were "released" then not a single one of the Remington "experts" could properly run the old Marlin tools. Seems they had to generate their own cad/cnc files in order to make the guns even resemble a Marlin. Unfortunately, I bought my grandson a NIB Remlin 336 for Christmas of 2011 (a joint family present) - ordered through one of my ffl buddies. It finally came in the week before Christmas, and the first 2 minutes of examination were proof enough to me that I should have insisted on following my instincts and bought one of the many fine, vintage JM Marlins off the pawn shop racks. Not too happy to see the front sight 5° off level.

As much as I respect the old Remington label, I'm not sure I trust the company with all the crappy 700 triggers to be able to produce the old Marlin quality.

I guess I was ranting and rambling again....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!