tomato stake

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
sherman

tomato stake

Post by sherman »

After my last time a the range with my Rossi single shot. I'm planning on using my rifle as a tomato stake next spring.
Zippidydoodah

Re: tomato stake

Post by Zippidydoodah »

What happened?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Please explain.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had a Marlin 1895G that I constantly reminded it that it was only a few moments away from being a line post. It would have been if it hadn't been so short.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

rifle and shotgun barrels seemed to have made pretty good boundary corner stakes in the past too .... I've run across a few :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jdb

Post by jdb »

mr surveyor wrote:rifle and shotgun barrels seemed to have made pretty good boundary corner stakes in the past too .... I've run across a few :D
LOL, yep. I've run into it a couple times too JD. We found the barrels of an old wire twist double barrel that had been taken apart and used as the front corners on a parcel set out on a farm. When we pulled them out to put in pins and caps, we saw why. One of the barrels had a golf ball sized bulge in it. LOL

Guess someone didn't know they weren't suppose to use smokeless.
sherman wrote:After my last time a the range with my Rossi single shot. I'm planning on using my rifle as a tomato stake next spring.
LOL, sorry brother. I hate to laugh, but that's funny.

As the guys asked, what exactly is the problem? I mean, I know it's a single shot, but there are things like head spacing that can cause inaccuracy even in them. Let us know what's going on and one of these really smart guys MAY have a suggestion of something you can check or maybe an alternative to staking out the wife's tomatoes. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

You guys crack me up!
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that it is a Rossi, my guess is that it is light hammer strikes. That made me crazy with my my 7.62x39.
Michael
jdb

Post by jdb »

Ranch Dog wrote:In that it is a Rossi, my guess is that it is light hammer strikes. That made me crazy with my my 7.62x39.
See what I mean Sherman. There is a LOT of knowledge on here and Ranch is the lead "dog" on the team. ;~)

Good call Ranch. I hadn't even thought about that and it's much easier to correct. I was thinking maybe too much head space letting the round move forward as the pin struck the primer causing inconsistent ignition, but a light spring or short or damaged firing pin could absolutely cause the same thing.

THAT is why you get paid the big bucks brother! ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
sherman

Re: tomato stake 223 rem.

Post by sherman »

With a cold barrel dead on at 100 yrds. the next high to the right, the next low to the left. two more shorts
and the gun will not open to it cools down for 1 hr. I guess it would be a good hunting gun if you only got one shot .