My 45-70 Barrel finally got here

Value priced adult & youth top break handguns, rifles, & shotguns chambered for centerfire & rimfire cartridges as well as shotshells. These arms are offered as single chamberings as well as a Matched Pair, Pick Four combinations, Trifecta, & the Wizard.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

My 45-70 Barrel finally got here

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

So, a couple of questions:

It's liberally coated with something resembling cosmolene, I usually use either carburetor cleaner or brake part cleaner on such problem but wonder about the plastic glow rods in the sights.

I may want to put a scope or red-dot on it. Ideas for bases, not sure if Rossi has such a beast in Florida and not at all sure I want the headache of another order. It took them one day short of 4 weeks to get the barrel here.

Any thoughts guys and gals.

TIA
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: My 45-70 Barrel finally got here

Post by akuser47 »

You need to be cautious with fiber optic inserts n cleaners if you can remove remove if not spray a rag and carefully wipe it inside barrel no problem.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I may want to put a scope or red-dot on it. Ideas for bases, not sure if Rossi has such a beast in Florida and not at all sure I want the headache of another order. It took them one day short of 4 weeks to get the barrel here.
As far as I'm aware, the only scope base that fits is the Rossi Single Shot Base (#P801).
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Ohio3Wheels wrote: As far as I'm aware, the only scope base that fits is the Rossi Single Shot Base (#P801).
I may have to go that route. I'm contemplating a piece of Pictinny rail and making my own but then I'd have to cut the radius to match the barrel and that a pain.
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
fflincher

Post by fflincher »

It is my understanding, unsure where I got it, that Thompson-Center scope bases for their Contender will fit just fine.

I got that bit of knowledge too late, had already called Rossi customer service and had them send me one that was in stock. Still waiting for some other stuff they were out of but expecting in future shipment(s).
Took about 10 days/2 weeks.

Congratulations on your new barrel!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I finally made it to the range Friday to check out the 45-70 barrel. All I had was some of the Hornady 325gr Leverlution rounds. No doubt when they go off. Shooting low and right at 50 yds. Swiss Army knife wasn't exactly the right tool to adjust the rear sight also discovered when I got home and printed out the single shot manual that the screws on the sight work opposite what I at least have come to expect on rear sights :oops: . So got to try and get some loading done and then back to the range later this week depending on weather and chores

I finally broke down and order 50 cases from Weidners. I'm not fond of nickled cases but it was all I found in about three hours of searching. Looked over about half the bag last night and they are the usual Starline quality - good :D . On to the bench for some loading. Think I'll try Trail Boss and Blackhorn 209 as a start.

Later,
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I think the Thompson Center contender series has the same bolt pattern. I don't know if the barrel diameters are the same. Academy Sports has an online sales site and they did carry Rossi single shot series. You might check there. I'm sure it would be faster than 4 weeks. They also had the scope bases in stock in the store I visited (Alabama).
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Thanks, I found one at Bud's and they are sort of just down the road a piece in Lexington, KY so I ordered it. Current status is "shipping" but it hasn't shipped as yet. Picked up an Ospreyred dot over the week end so when the rail arrives it back to the range for some sighting in. Also found a box of Privi Partizan 405 gr ammo, anyone with experience with it? I've shot other stuff of theirs mostly obsolete mil stuff and it's always performed well.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I had an H&R single shot in 45-70 and used to load the lee 405 gr cast bullet with 5744 and some with IMR 3031. Both decent hunting loads, but too long to feed thru marlin 1895 guide gun.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Not to sidetrack the subject at hand, but those of you that have, or have had the H&R single breaks .... how do you find the accuracy? I had a "Varmintor" (I think that was the model), fluted bull barrel .223 that I just could not get better than 2.5-3 moa after trying a half dozen factory loads. Also had to send it back (to Remington) early on to correct light strike issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!