Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

More is not always better

Post by pricedo »

RD has a lot of software & physical pressure measuring hardware and perhaps he has made an empirical assessment of how well the Rio Grande handles pressure and can comment on the guns limitations in that regard.
Most bullets are designed to be effective within a given range of velocities.
For example there's no point in pushing a 405 grain Remington HP which is designed to be most effective at 1100-1500 fps to 2500 fps...........it will blow apart on contact and destroy 20-50 pounds of meat on a buck.
You have to consider necessity, cost, effectiveness, accuracy & SAFETY with the latter being the most important by several orders of magnitude.
If you wind up tapping a white cane along sidewalk curbs for the rest of your life an extra 500 fps from your gun is of miniscule significance.
Exercise common sense, work up your loads and don't assume that any or all of the anecdotal rumors & hype you are exposed to is true.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: More is not always better

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:RD has a lot of software & physical pressure measuring hardware and perhaps he has made an empirical assessment of how well the Rio Grande handles pressure and can comment on the guns limitations in that regard.
BB is wrong in their assessment that a 336 is the same as the 1895. There is more meat where the receiver meets the barrel threads, a little goes a heck of a long way when it comes to pressure. .001" of brass thickness will contain 6.0K PSI so that should tell you how important .001" of steel is.The RG is a 336 at best and the 336 is not a 1895. I shoot my RG at 35.0K PSI and will not go higher. If you are talking CUP, Copper Units of Pressure, it would be approximately 32.7K CUP.

Also, remember that the RG4570 barrel outside dimensions, which the chamber is part of, are no greater than the RG3030. Rossi has removed "inside" metal based on the SAAMI/CIP specs for the 45-70.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: More is not always better

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
pricedo wrote:RD has a lot of software & physical pressure measuring hardware and perhaps he has made an empirical assessment of how well the Rio Grande handles pressure and can comment on the guns limitations in that regard.
BB is wrong in their assessment that a 336 is the same as the 1895. There is more meat where the receiver meets the barrel threads, a little goes a heck of a long way when it comes to pressure. .001" of brass thickness will contain 6.0K PSI so that should tell you how important .001" of steel is.The RG is a 336 at best and the 336 is not a 1895. I shoot my RG at 35.0K PSI and will not go higher. If you are talking CUP, Copper Units of Pressure, it would be approximately 32.7K CUP.

Also, remember that the RG4570 barrel outside dimensions, which the chamber is part of, are no greater than the RG3030. Rossi has removed "inside" metal based on the SAAMI/CIP specs for the 45-70.
The 45-70 version of the RG is lighter than the 30-30 version because metal has been removed.
What is an advantage for tired shoulder & back muscles at the end of a long days hunting imposes structural constraints on the use of over pressure ammo.
I accept RDs threshold pressure for the 45-70 RG because he doesn't have a horse running in that particular marketing race.
I think BB technicians need to take a real good look at the RG and reassess their position.
My 30-30s extra weight won't seem as burdensome now that I realize that it has lots of spare metal to handle and reasonable hand loaded ammo I care to use in it.
I will reiterate that it is counterproductive to push a bullet beyond it's effective velocity range.
I'm shooting my Guide Guns on the high end of the velocity spectrum with bullets designed to be most effective at higher velocities cause I will be using it for moose and if you've ever tracked a wounded Canadian moose 8 miles to finally dispatch it in the middle of a waste high cedar swamp full of freezing water in mid November you won't be anxious to repeat that arduous task anytime soon.
I want my moose to drop where I shoot them.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
stuberr

Re: Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Post by stuberr »

All:

What great new from Customer Service on my band new unfired weapon:

Date Received: 09/13/2012
Model: RG4570SS

Dear Customer,

We are in receipt of your merchandise.
Processing should take approximately 6 weeks from the date of receipt.

If you would like to provide additional information, please contact Customer Service at:
Phone: (305) 624-1115
Fax: (305) 624-1126
Between the hours of 8:00 am - 6:00 pm ET, Monday thru Friday

Six weeks wait on something that should have never left the factory in Brazil......
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:All:

What great new from Customer Service on my band new unfired weapon:

Date Received: 09/13/2012
Model: RG4570SS

Dear Customer,

We are in receipt of your merchandise.
Processing should take approximately 6 weeks from the date of receipt.

If you would like to provide additional information, please contact Customer Service at:
Phone: (305) 624-1115
Fax: (305) 624-1126
Between the hours of 8:00 am - 6:00 pm ET, Monday thru Friday

Six weeks wait on something that should have never left the factory in Brazil......
Like I said in a previous post on this thread this is when you start waiting.....waiting.......waiting.
That's why I personally would have fixed the cracked stock myself.
Don't take me wrong........I'm not knocking your decision I just mentioned what I'd have done after I checked the rest of the gun and action out thoroughly to see if it was good.
I much prefer wood problems to steel problems.
The next gun they send you might have steel problems.
You're not dealing with Westley Richards or Sako or even Ruger here with at least a modicum of pride in product.
The people that make these guns mostly don't give a crap other than to get a BA (barely acceptable) product into a box and shipped hopefully to a customer who doesn't mind the slam-bang workmanship as long as it goes bang cause he didn't pay that much for it in the first place. :mrgreen:

I was buying and selling Rossis back when the rest of you guys were still Marlin-only snobs. :lol:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That is the standard Customer Service reply from Braztech. I have sent four Taurus pistols back to them for one thing or another and received the same. Three of the them were back in a week (one in two days) and the fourth took 5 weeks because they needed a barrel from Brazil on a brand new product line. Four might sound like a lot but it is not many compared to how many I own and three of my repairs was for a problem the average shooter would not ever notice.
pricedo wrote:I was buying and selling Rossis back when the rest of you guys were still Marlin-only snobs. :lol:
Funny how things change. I don't know if I was a snob but I sure was a Marlin guy.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:That is the standard Customer Service reply from Braztech. I have sent four Taurus pistols back to them for one thing or another and received the same. Three of the them were back in a week (one in two days) and the fourth took 5 weeks because they needed a barrel from Brazil on a brand new product line. Four might sound like a lot but it is not many compared to how many I own and three of my repairs was for a problem the average shooter would not ever notice.
pricedo wrote:I was buying and selling Rossis back when the rest of you guys were still Marlin-only snobs. :lol:
Funny how things change. I don't know if I was a snob but I sure was a Marlin guy.
Excuse the poor choice of words on my part.
It wasn't as much a matter of being a snob as being used to a paradigm of minimum acceptable quality in the good ole "JM Marlin" days.
You guys only started slumin on the Rossi side of town about a year ago.
Takes a while to see how things work on the poor-boy end of town where the saying "buyer beware" takes on a whole new significance.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

Well, I've owned my 44 about 5 years now. Had a few Marlins back then too. Some of us just like all different kinds of firearms. Don't think I've ever considered myself a " snob" on any firearm or scope, but my intrests have sure taken some detours along the way. DP
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

All:

Still waiting for my RG to get from Received to repair in the Rossi Web Repair Status Page. Ordered 250 pieces of brass but that's on back order too.

Should have given it a local repair but I'd always see my own work and critique it every time I picked it up. I'd rather have a new stock on my NEW GUN!

rich
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

stuberr wrote:Still waiting for my RG to get from Received to repair in the Rossi Web Repair Status Page.
The main thing is that it shows that it was received. It will jump from repair to shipped real quick, one day, unless it is waiting on repairs.
stuberr wrote:Ordered 250 pieces of brass but that's on back order too.
What brand you going with?
stuberr wrote:Should have given it a local repair but I'd always see my own work and critique it every time I picked it up. I'd rather have a new stock on my NEW GUN!
New, fresh out of the box and without the rifle being discounted on account of it, you did the right thing.
Michael