Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Post by joec »

I just order 250 Starline brass in 45-70 from Buffalo Arms as they seem to be the only ones with it at the moment in stock. It worked out to .44 a piece by the way. I also order 250 Badman Cast 405 gr bullets as well. That should keep me supplied for the next few years.
Joe
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

RD,

I ordered from Starline....from their website. I can wait cause I don't have my noisemaker anyway. I want to fire some of the 325grain leverlution rounds that i bought for site-in to see how the gun feels before I order up some 350s or higher wt bullets. Lots I don't know about 45-70 as this is my first!

Rich
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

stuberr wrote:RD,

I ordered from Starline....from their website. I can wait cause I don't have my noisemaker anyway. I want to fire some of the 325grain leverlution rounds that i bought for site-in to see how the gun feels before I order up some 350s or higher wt bullets. Lots I don't know about 45-70 as this is my first!

Rich
I sighted mine in about a week ago using the Hornady 45-70 Government 250 gr Monoflex Leverevolution which I followed with some home loads using trailboss and a 405 gr cast lead bullet. About a 2" difference in loads at 100 yds which was surprising. I got it sighted in with about 10 rounds but sighted the scope in with a bore laser to 50 yards first so it was already pretty close other than elevation.
Joe
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

Great News!

I keep checking the Rossi Repair Web page and they haven't lost my "new" 45-70 yet. I am most fortunate!

rich
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

stuberr wrote:Great News!

I keep checking the Rossi Repair Web page and they haven't lost my "new" 45-70 yet. I am most fortunate!

rich
My experience is the never lose your gun but you will get a letter saying it is completed and they are shipping it back a month after you have it. I also found the repair web page also very much behind.
Joe
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

joec,

I'll have similar rig to yours, if I ever get the gun back, as I also have a Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 to site in. I'll be curious to see if I can get proper eye relief with the Rossi supplied mount. I'm embarrased to admit to a circular scar above my right eye. Funny how the heads bleeds so freely when smacked by a scope with no rubber surround eyepiece.

rich
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rich, I'm using the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 (#71-1545) on my RG4570 without issue. Same scope I use on all my leverguns except the R92s.

Michael
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

RD,

Looks like I'll be GTG with the Banner. Nice looking pair of weapons, and a sweet rack below them. I've got a thick Whitetail 8pt rack from an NY state Adirondick deer that was smacked with the old version of the Ruger 44mag carbine. Down on $$$ at one time and I sold that gun to a good guy and local hunter. That carbine was light and formidable to 100yrds.

rich
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Rich, I'm using the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 (#71-1545) on my RG4570 without issue. Same scope I use on all my leverguns except the R92s.
I use the Bushnell "Trophy" series on all my guns up to the 30-06 power level & Leupold scopes (mostly the "Rifleman") for the heavy hitters.
The Bushnell "Trophy" series is Bushnell's 3rd line scope after "Elite" & "Legend".
Tried a "left over" from a rifle sale 1.5-4.5x40mm (30mm tube) Bushnell Trophy on a rifle I call "The Clydesdale" which is a Savage model 116 "Alaskan Brush Gun" with a 18" barrel which weighs only 7 1/2 pounds in 375 Ruger (more powerful than the iconic 375 H&H elephant gun). After 3 shots the sight picture disappeared & the adjusting prism of the Trophy scope was rattling around in the housing tube. Switched to a Leupold 3-9x40mm Leupold & sighted the rifle in with no problems.
Everything has its limitations.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

All:

After 5 days of the Rossi Repair Status web page not working, I called in to find that they are waiting for a stock to come in from Brazil. This purchase stopped being fun on the day I took ownership. This sucks big!

Rich