Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
stuberr

Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Post by stuberr »

Picked up my pretty 45-70 at my FFL Friday. Actually, I was shocked to see what a good looking weapon this is. I'm 62 years so I didn't need a 40,000 Cups
pile driver cause my right shoulder is the better of the two I own. Purchase was from GrabaGun. Price was right and they don't charge a 3% fee for CCs. Shipping is 5.99, can't argue with that. I didn't realize I had a problem till I was handling the rifle at home and I felt the crack. I think I would have refused the shipment but I'll call Rossi on Monday. I went with the RG over the Remlin for QC assurance and this is disapointing. See the Pic for details. I don't want to shoot it for fear it'll get worse quick with the Hornady 325 FTX ammo purchased for sighting in.

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Brand New Rio Grande - Rear Stock Broken

Post by joec »

Sorry to hear it and I too just bought a new RG in 45-70 however I started with the Hornady 45-70 Government 250 gr Monoflex Leverevolution sight mine in with. I also made some 405 gr cast bullets up with Starline brass, CCI #200 primers and 15 rounds loaded with Trailboss, IMR 3031 and Reloader 7 all about middle of the road loads. I'm a little older than you but can relate to how shoulder can feel. :D

Oh and mine was as close to perfect out of the box as any gun could be short of being hand built.
Joe
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I hope they sort it out.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

One thing about the RG in .30-30 Win is that it doesn't have the horsepower to hurt itself unless the shooter does something really stupid.
I've put lots of rounds downrange with mine and if anything it's getting smoother.
Other than being filthy with dirt & machining shavings and needing a good stripping and cleaning mine was also excellent NIB.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not good! Call Rossi, I suspect they will take care of it pronto! I wonder how it got cracked? Any sign that the box was dropped?
Michael
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

RD,

Sorry to report that under 4X round flourescent magnifier light it was obvious that someone had sanded across the grain where the crack met the metal. I have a SS 44spl. Rossi 4" revolver that is spot on but always was. No, the QC guys should have found something that should have never left the plant in that condition. Sometimes chickens...sometimes feathers...

I'll report back how Rossi handles the problem. Won't be taking this for a sighting in in the near future that for certain.

Rich
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:RD,

Sorry to report that under 4X round flourescent magnifier light it was obvious that someone had sanded across the grain where the crack met the metal. I have a SS 44spl. Rossi 4" revolver that is spot on but always was. No, the QC guys should have found something that should have never left the plant in that condition. Sometimes chickens...sometimes feathers...

I'll report back how Rossi handles the problem. Won't be taking this for a sighting in in the near future that for certain.

Rich
Riddle: What does a broken Rossi and a boomerang have in common?

Probably a gun that was broke by a previous owner and returned & the Rossi Repairman (who apparently is a lot busier than the Maytag Repairman :lol: ) did a hasty 5 minute mcrepair & dropped it back in the box & this unfortunate member got it on the rebound.
Sounds like the (in)famous Rossi Krazy Glue didn't do its thing this time & the stock came apart in the box on the way back to a new owner.
I hear all this reformed Braztech Rossi talk but this sounds like the old Rossi we all know & love.
Zebras don't change their stripes.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
stuberr

Post by stuberr »

Jeez Pricedo,

If I had seen your posts earlier I might have gone with the Remlin. The fastest repair would have them send me a replacement stock but it probably won't go that easy...I guess I'll see. I sure didn't want to purchase a new weapon and get a "Goat Fornicated" returned piece instead!

Rich
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:Jeez Pricedo,

If I had seen your posts earlier I might have gone with the Remlin. The fastest repair would have them send me a replacement stock but it probably won't go that easy...I guess I'll see. I sure didn't want to purchase a new weapon and get a "Goat Fornicated" returned piece instead!

Rich
I'll take wood problems over steel problems in a gun any day.
You send that gun back and you might get a great stock with a crappy gun attached to it.......you never know with Rossi.
If the rest of the gun is good it doesn't look like a difficult stock repair to me.
Drill a few oversize holes through both pieces at right angles to the line of the crack, epoxy in some twist style nails for strength and run some epoxy along the crack itself.........1/2 hr and your done.........let the epoxy cure over nite, sand a little, varnish a little, polish a little and & voila......new stock.
Did it with a split stock in a Sako 85 in .375 H&H .......the guy I fixed it for is still using the rifle with the same stock 15 years later.
If you feel lucky go with sending it back & start waiting....waiting......waiting. :(
Not giving advice.......just saying what I'd do if I got a good gun with a fixable cracked stock.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

stuberr wrote:Jeez Pricedo,

Rich
I did buy 2 Remlins !!......no fool like an old fool! :lol: .......both Guide Guns & both in 45-70........1 1895G & 1 1895GS.....they both took a lot of work and 3rd party parts from Wild West Guns but they're both running fine.
Now both MOA guns.
The blue GG likes the HSM 430 grain factory ammo & the stainless GG likes the 325 grain Hornady FTX "Gummy Bear" ammo.

My Rossi Rio Grande in 30-30 is a dead on accurate and dependable rifle too..........wouldn't part with it now that I got it tuned up & running the way I like it.

Rossi???

Remlin???

6 of 1......1/2 dozen of the other........either is a toss of the dice. :mrgreen:
Last edited by pricedo on 09 Sep 2012 16:50, edited 2 times in total.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA