30-30 parts availability question

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
NicholasGillock

30-30 parts availability question

Post by NicholasGillock »

I bought a RG 3030 awhile back used, and gun worked well for awhile. Last time i pulled it out to shoot, I noticed it was failing to feed the next round when cycling the action. Lever pulled to full open position fine, but then would kind of lock in that position. A light hit with a palm against the lever would allow it to get past that position and close just fine (this is with no ammo in the gun). When it's loaded, it seems as if the lever in the forward position, the nose of the round would fall down allowing it to go lower than the rim of the next round in the tube that would allow that round to come into the action a 1/4" or so.
I ended up sending it to my father who is better with lever guns, but he had trouble getting the gun apart, and in calling Rossi they told him it needed a special tool to open. So he went ahead and sent it to them to see if they could repair it. They got back to me stating "gun isn't repairable, the part isn't available". Person said they were just the one relaying the message, but "something broken" and "carrier" were said.
Guns out of warranty obviously so they are stating they can either send it back, or give me a discount off something out of the catalog. they didn't give me what that discount was, just said to send over what i would be interested in and they would go from there.
Is this an issue that happens with these guns? I couldn't find much in my googling for it. I appreciate any insight.

Basic question I have is, are there actually parts available on the market for these guns? It would be cool to trade it on a 357 version or something like that, but truthfully I think I'd rather have a working 3030 like i had originally. What would you do? (obviously this is a little open ended because they haven't disclosed what the discount would be, but I'll follow up with it once they let me know).
Gunny268
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 30-30 parts availability question

Post by Gunny268 »

Please don't take this as a criticism in any way, shape, or form. I would, first, take the rifle to an actual gunsmith (the kind that actually has a lathe and vertical mill in his/her shop). They should be able to diagnose the problem and explain it to you in detail. Then I would begin investigating the possible parts compatibility (or modification) from/of similar rifles like the Marlin 336, etc. We were able to resolve an ejector problem for a 357 Rossi 92 by modding and fitting an ejector that was for a Browning B-92 357. Approx 2,500 rnds later, it's still rocking on.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Agreed. Get it back and into the hands of a smith. May be a bit pricey but worth it.

The Rio Grande has been discontinued for some time and was never made or sold by the current Rossi ownership.

I think...
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
NicholasGillock

Post by NicholasGillock »

I take no offense. The gun actually went to a friend of my father (simplified this for the post) who is supposed to be good with leverguns. he's the one that sent it to rossi after running into issues. I'd much rather keep the 30-30, so I'll probably just get the gun sent back to me. I have a local smith who does good work, so I'll check with him. It didn't sound right to me that "it's not fixable" as at the end of the day, it's just metal. A new piece can be made for almost anything. Appreciate the advice, I was leaning in that direction anyways, you just pushed me over the edge to go that route.