30-30 Case Ejection Problem

Rossi's latest and past big game rifle based on the 336 frame!
slimser1200

30-30 Case Ejection Problem

Post by slimser1200 »

I just bought my first rifle (Rossi Rio Grande 30-30) and do not have much rifle experience except for shooting some .22s. I tried loading some bullets with the safety engaged so I could practice the lever action reloading. However, the gun would not eject a majority of the bullets and I would have to turn the gun on its side in order for them to drop out. I've tried cleaning the gun and it slightly helped with the problem. That said, the cases just do not seem to want to eject.

Another thing I noticed was scratched brass on the cases. I'm not sure if that is because of the very stiff loading gate or if it is due to something else.

Would anyone have any tips or ideas about how to fix this problem? Or should I be sending this back to the factory?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 30-30 Case Ejection Problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

It sounds like you have two issues, the ejection of spent cases and the scratches, neither which are related.

The ejection is controlled by the ejector and it fairly easy to get to but does require that the bolt be removed (which requires the lever to be removed). The Marlin 336 based action is real easy to disassemble and to reassemble, there are many videos on YouTube that detail that work.

The scratched cases will take a bit more detective work. In this action, the 336, it is usually the cartridges being lifted too early by the carrier and them dragging across the upper surface of the magazine tube port. Not the tube itself but the hole in the receiver. This can be because it is rough or the carrier is sticking or simply needs to be slightly "flattened" to delay the lifting. In that the rifle is tough to load, I say it is the carrier interfering with the loading door (gate) as well. What really needs to happen is that the rifle be dissembled and thoroughly cleaned so that you can determine why the carrier is not fully depressed.

If you are not comfortable with the a complete takedown of the rifle, it should be sent back to RossiUSA.
Michael
slimser1200

Post by slimser1200 »

I've taken it down and did a cleaning. I'll give it another go tonight and let you know the results.

It's definitely very easy to takedown and reassemble so that doesn't bother me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

slimser1200 wrote:I've taken it down and did a cleaning. I'll give it another go tonight and let you know the results.

It's definitely very easy to takedown and reassemble so that doesn't bother me.
Sounds good, let us know how it goes and we will take it from there.
Michael
CHX77

Post by CHX77 »

My RG3030 was scratching the cases at the loading gate. The scratches were mostly on the larger body of the case, not on the neck area. I smoothed out the inner edges of the gate opening and relieved the spring a bit. That took care of the issue.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced any extraction/ejection issues. I suppose it's possible you have a faulty ejector or it isn't installed correctly. Does the extractor pull the cartridge out of the chamber when the bolt moves rearward?
slimser1200

Post by slimser1200 »

Done some cleanings the past couple days. It still seems to have the same problem. Half the time it will eject the casing, the other half the time it won´t.

From what I can tell it is not pulling the cartridge out of the chamber when moving rearward. If it does, it does it only part of the time.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay, that is the extractor, not the ejector. That is the little claw looking thingy that is embedded in the bolt. You can see the black metal it is made from when viewing the bolt through the ejection port.

There have been some problems reported with it, not enough of a claw to it, on the RG 410s. Just take a look at it, it should have a sharp angle to engage the case rim. The spring action of the ejector should cause the spring portion of it to lay flat in recess channel that is machined for it in the bolt.

The possibilities are that:
  • The claw on the ejector is not well defined, the angle or shape cannot grab the case.
  • There is some dirt, hard grease, or a metal burr under the length of the ejector that forms the spring as it rests in the recessed channel of the bolt.
  • The spring or claw is bent.
The fixes are to remove the ejector from the bolt (it snaps off):
  • Inspect it to make sure the spring portion is flat and the claw looks like it could hang up the case rim, reshaping them if necessary.
  • Inspect and correct the channel that is machined it the bolt. It should not have anything that interferes with the spring laying flat and recessed in the channel.
  • After working through the first two in this list and it still does't correct the issue, replace the ejector with a Rossi or Marlin1 part.
Finally, also look at the receiver where the bolt face seats. You will see a cutout that houses and allows the ejector to fit over the case rim while the cartridge is seated in the chamber. This should be clean and free of anything that would interfere with the ejector.[hr][/hr]1I haven't had to replace any of my ejectors but it has been reported here on the forum that the standard Marlin 336 ejector fits the Rio Grande bolt.
Michael
slimser1200

Post by slimser1200 »

Just a follow-up on this. I bought a new Extractor from a Marlin 336 to replace the Rossi one. After looking online the Extractor ¨claw¨was very mishapen from how it should have been. After replacing the Extractor part, the rifle works beautifully.

Thank you all very much for your help. I hope this helps anyone who has this problem in the future as well.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good to hear slimser +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!