Red dot mount

Rossi's short stocked carbine for the working ranch hand!
jh45gun

Red dot mount

Post by jh45gun »

Last year I made this mount for my Winchester model 94. It is an idea copied from the old Leupold forward scope mount. A Williams dove tail blank that is already drilled and tapped is drilled and tapped larger for a 6/48 screw. The forearm band is also drilled and tapped which is the only altercation to the gun. I liked it so well on the 94 we made an other mount for my Ranchhand. Just get a one piece base that fits the barrel radius and make a flat cut on the rear to mate up with the dovetail blank and a slot to fit over the barrel band.

jh45gun

Re: Red dot mount

Post by jh45gun »

I should add the dove tail blank is drilled and tapped for easy installing and tightening up the screw locks it in the dovetail. Redrilling and tapping the original screw hole is neccessary for a larger stronger screw. It when tightened however does the same thing and locks the blank into the dovetail using a longer screw.
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

I probably will put a smaller dot sight on it when I buy one, but that Bushnell Trophy was all I had on hand when I did this project. That is a nice sight though so I may leave it.
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

Well took it out to the range and sighted it in at 25 yards. 2 inch groups which is what I expect from a red dot. That was about average. Those targets with the diamonds are ok but I think the groups would have been better with a quarter size circle or smaller. All in all I am satisfied with it. For those that say what good is it this will make a viable hunting rig. Next time I go out I will make ul some small aiming point targets and see how it does.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

JH45gun,
Look forward to your findings. I just purchased a red dot, my first, so the learning curve begins again on something new learning how to adjust etc... For my .44.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
jdb

Post by jdb »

jh45gun wrote:Well took it out to the range and sighted it in at 25 yards. 2 inch groups which is what I expect from a red dot. That was about average. Those targets with the diamonds are ok but I think the groups would have been better with a quarter size circle or smaller. All in all I am satisfied with it. For those that say what good is it this will make a viable hunting rig. Next time I go out I will make ul some small aiming point targets and see how it does.
Yep, aim small...miss small. ;~)

I'm pretty confident that you'll get better than 2" JH. As I'm sure you know, those guns are definitely capable of much better unless there is some other problem. Mine is the plain ol' 357, R92, which has a slightly longer barrel, but at 25 yeards it clover leafed the first thing I fed it. But I always use the small dots as my target.

Look forward to hearing what you end up seeing from changing targets.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Do you know what the barrel thickness is at the dovetail?

I'm just a mite leery of bottoming out a screw into the dovetail...
jh45gun

Post by jh45gun »

The screw pulls the blank up into the dovetail so if you measure right the screw should never touch the barrel. I shot it yesterday at 22 yards and the group measured just under an inch with a 5
Shot group.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

That's a pretty slick idea there jh!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Good deal!